Saturday, December 17, 2011

Throwing Stones

"Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."
- John 7:24

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

- John 8:7

Oftentimes, we are quick to pass judgment on others by their appearances and by what they do.  We judge or condemn as if we are sinless and as if we are all the time right.  Jesus emphasized the importance of right judgment, compassion, and forgiveness.

I, if not all the time, am sometimes guilty of it -- passing judgment on others when they sin as if I'm the only righteous one.  But the truth is, I and the others are on the same boat:  someone who also sinned and is only a recipient of God's grace.

Even Jesus did not condemn the adulterous woman.  But instead He declared, "Go now and leave your life of sin." (John 8:11)

So what right do I have to pass judgment on others? None. Not even an inch.  It is only God who can judge others and myself.  Jesus, our model, set an example on how to show compassion and forgiveness to others who sinned.


[PRAYER]
Father God, forgive me for at times I am quick to judge others of their faults.  Forgive me, I sometimes think I'm righteous and sinless.  Thank You, for reminding me that I am also the same with others: a person who sinned and saved by grace.

Lord, teach me to show compassion and to release forgiveness to those who need them just as You have shown compassion and forgiveness to me.  Thank You for Your love and forgiveness. And thank You for teaching me Your ways through Your Son, Jesus.  Amen!


[Journal entry: October 26, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment