Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Faithful Husband

I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion.  I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord.
- Hosea 2:19-20

I will plant her for myself in the land; I will show my love to the one I called 'Not my loved one.' I will say to those who called 'Not my people,' 'You are my people.'; and they will say, 'You are my God.'
- Hosea 2:23

The book of Hosea tells a love story of a man with a wayward wife.  God told Hosea to marry an adulterous wife.  He married Gomer in obedience to God.  This depicts God's love for His people that though what He called His own pursued other loves. God in His infinite mercy, faithfulness, and love offered hope and reconciliation to His people.

I have had these moments in my life I became an adulteress. I left my First Love, my "husband" and pursued other loves (selfish desires, selfish ambitions, entertainment).  I am guilty of it.  I was a spiritual adulteress.


But God is faithful to His commitment though I have been unfaithful to Him. When I repented and turned back to Him, He welcomed me back and loved me still.  He is the One who pursued me. He gave me a new heart that I would love Him and show faithfulness to Him.  His love is great and His faithfulness is unfailing!


[PRAYER]
Father God, though there were moments I have lusted on other loves, You showed tenderness and love to bring me back to Your arms.  Forgive me for the things that broke Your heart, and I unceasingly thank You for the unconditional love You have lavished on me.  Your love I cannot exhaust. It is infinite! I love You, God! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


[Journal entry: October 20, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment