Friday, December 2, 2011

Just Plainly

After he said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going to wake him up." His disciples  replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.  So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe.  But let us go to him."
- John 11:11-14

As I read these lines, I can't help but to giggle.  In my thoughts, "The disciples are funny.  Sometimes, they are just plain stupid.  They could not read between the lines." But the Lord is so patient in dealing with them.  Jesus handpicked these twelve apostles; for three years, they followed Jesus.  They were with Him wherever He went.  They were firsthand witnesses of Jesus' powers and miracles.  They were recipients, immediate, that is, of Jesus' teachings.  The secrets of God's kingdom were revealed to them.

But in spite of these, they struggled with doubt, unbelief, fear, and not to forget, "dull moments."  They just could not understand Jesus' figure of speech, and most of the time, He would tell them what He meant on simple terms.  I could just imagine that Jesus would again and again reconstruct His statements so that His "elementary students" could understand (hehehe).

I commend Jesus for His patience in putting up with His disciples.  After all, they were a work in progress. Just like me.  I can totally relate to these disciples.  Dumb and stubborn as I am, most of the time, Jesus has been patient with me.  Lotsa moments, Jesus would have told me what He meant plainly.  Good thing, Jesus is so patient with me and with us all.  Good thing, too, no matter how dumb sometimes I could be, He still chooses to reveal the things of God to me.

[PRAYER]
Father God, I depend on You for Your Holy Spirit to give me wisdom and understanding of Your Word and of the things that You reveal to me.  Thank You, God, for despite Your people's "sheepness" You still chose to reveal Yourself and of the marvelous things about You and about Your Son, Jesus.  Thank You, Jesus, for giving us a Counselor to guide us, to instruct, to enlighten, and to empower us.  Thank You for the gift of wisdom, understanding, and discernment.  Every good gift comes from You, Lord.  This I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.


[Journal entry: October 28, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment