Thursday, February 23, 2012

On Being a Jew

A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical.  No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code.  Such as a man's praise is not from men, but from God.
 - Romans 2: 28-29
[NIV Footnotes]
A real Jew is someone who pleases God, not someone who has been circumcised (outwardly) but someone whose heart is right with God and obeys Him.  God desires our heartfelt devotion and obedience.

How often am I living like a real Jew? How often do I live with a circumcised heart?  How often am I right with God? Father God, I confess that at times it seems like I live like a Jew outwardly but my heart is not.  Father, make my heart right with You; cleanse it and make it pure that I may give glory to You. In Jesus' name. Amen


[Journal entry: November 22, 2011].

No comments:

Post a Comment