Thursday, February 16, 2012

In Chains for the Gospel

Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.  As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.  Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
- Philippians 1:12-14

Paul at his time of writing was imprisoned in Rome, and though he was in this situation, he was rejoicing.  His situation, if we looked at it, is bad.  But in Paul's eyes, it was another opportunity to advance the gospel.  Even in chains, he still preached the gospel to the guards and to his fellow prisoners.  Paul didn't wallow in self-pity.  Instead, he rejoiced in the Lord and has been encouraged to speak the word of God all the more without fear!
Courtesy photo by: purity-ring.com

Paul saw his circumstance as an opportunity rather than as a problem.  It would cause bitterness and discouragement for others who would have been in his shoes, but Paul had a different attitude in approaching it -- he rejoiced!  Paul was in chains for Christ!  Regardless he was in chains or out in the open, he preached the Word of God to anybody wherever he was. "Anytime and anywhere," I guess that was what he had in his mind when preaching the gospel.  Paul demonstrated his faith even in bad situations, and even in this difficulty, bad as it may seem, God's plans and purpose always prevail.

[PRAYER]
Father God, I confess that at times I may look at my current situation and be discouraged rather than be joyful in You. Lord, help me to see every opportunity in good and bad circumstances, and that it isn't important what situation I'm in.  What's important is that Your purpose is accomplished; that Christ may be known to everyone. In Jesus' name. Amen.


[Journal entry: January 8, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment