Thursday, February 9, 2012

Genuine Wisdom

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.  But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.  Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil.  For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.


But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.
- James 3: 13-18

There are two kinds of wisdom: one that comes from heaven and one that is of the devil.  True wisdom comes from God; "wisdom" from the devil might not even be considered as wisdom.  How can one identify a person with true wisdom?  By the depth of a person's character.

The tree is known by its fruit.  A good tree produces good fruit; and a bad tree does not produce good fruit.  A person with wisdom that comes from God is a peacemaker.  On the other hand, a person without the wisdom from God is envious and selfish; he has the tendency to escalate conflict.  Such a person is a fool.

Self-check: How are my actions and speech lately?  Am I being wise or foolish?  Do I promote peace or conflict at home, at work, or in church? Do I have envy and selfish ambition in my heart?  Or do I show consideration, mercy, and submission? Am I a peacemaker or a troublemaker?  Do I love to gossip or do I love to talk about godly matters?  What kind of seed am I sowing?

[PRAYER]
Father God, thank You, thank You, thank You for the wonderful morning today!  Thank You for making me feel better.  I was feeling worse yesterday because of flu, but today You have refreshed me. Lord, thank You for Your healing touch today.

Thank You, Father God, for Your Word this morning.  Thank You for teaching me the kind of wisdom that I should have; the kind of wisdom that only comes from You.

Lord, thank You for being patient with me.  I am a foolish one, but because of Your great love, you continue to refine me that I may become pure and blameless.  Lord, as I look back of what has recently happened between daddy and me, I could not thank You less for it was really a test that revealed my heart and my character.  Thank You, oh God, for that opportunity to practice wisdom from You.  Thank You Holy Spirit for instructing me, guiding me, and teaching me what I should do in Jesus' name. Amen.


[Journal entry: January 17, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment