Saturday, July 7, 2012

No Religion

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.  Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself form being polluted by the world.
- James 1:26-27 -
Photo courtesy: The Writing on the Wall

God desires a relationship with us, not religion.  There are many religions in the world, but there is only one God accepts; that is, to look after orphans and widows and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.  It stresses the importance of relationship.  Religion is man-made, but relationship is from God.  Religion cannot save man; relationship with Jesus can. We can do all religious activities, practices, and traditions faithfully and religiously, and yet we do not keep ourselves in check if we act and speak accordingly.

Our religion is worthless if we do not put God's Word into practice.  All things we do, religious, that is, are in vain if we live such a life which the world dictates.  First, having a right and honest relationship with God is our top priority.  By having that right relationship with God through His Son, Jesus, our relationship with others as well as with ourselves will be in tune.

Questions:  How is my relationship with God lately? How is my relationship with others lately?  How am I treating others especially those who are poor, weak, and helpless?  How is my speech lately?  How am I living my life lately?  How are my actions lately?

[PRAYER]
Father God in heaven, thank You for Your Word today.  Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  Father God, I thank You that You do not desire religion, but instead You desire a relationship with me.  Father God, today fill me with Your Spirit, and enable me to practice what I have learned from You today.  This I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.



[Journal entry: May 3, 2012]

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the follow. I am now your follower as well. I simply love the statement you have made for this blog;"I have one goal in mind: To glorify God in everything I do"

    ReplyDelete