Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Letter to Daddy

Daddy,

     The other day was unexpected. I didn’t see it coming. It was sudden. I was a bit surprised that out of a simple question about tractor you erupted and said things off topic.  It was better it happened at least I got a glimpse of what’s inside your heart since we seldom talk. Don’t get me wrong. I sure don’t like having arguments with you. But if it’s the only way for us to communicate the deep, hidden things from our hearts, then it’s healthy. 

     About last Sunday, I’m sorry for the things I said that hurt you and displeased you. Please always remember that I don’t intend to harm you, I intend to protect you. But I don’t think I can protect you all the time, only God can. Though I can’t protect you as much as God can, my intentions for you are of pure love and care. 

     Although I may act indifferently, I do love you and respect you daddy. I am not your enemy. I am your ally, your back support, your family, and your only daughter. 


     We may have lots of differences: from our way of thinking to our love language, to our faith and values. That is one reason why we clash. I understand you, daddy. I wish I could understand you more – what you’re thinking, how you’re feeling, and why you’re doing things.  If it weren’t for the grace of God, I could’ve have given up. God desires for you and me to be reconciled.  He wants our relationship restored because He loves you and me. 

     He also desires to have a relationship with you.  He wants to lavish His love on you.  He desires to open the floodgates of heaven to pour out blessings and favor upon you. He wants to increase you. But He is often misrepresented. He is not an angry and distant God. He is the perfect expression of love.  Nothing in this world could ever satisfy us – not money, not having a job, not even friends or romance. Only God can satisfy the void in our hearts. Taste and see that the Lord is good. How I wish you could experience what I’m talking about someday soon.  Whenever you’re ready, accept his invitation of forgiveness and His gift of salvation through His Son Jesus. We are all sinners. We all need forgiveness. Nobody can save himself. We all need a Savior. 

     For now, I just want to say sorry to you daddy. I’m sorry. I respect you and I appreciate you as my father. And I love you. I hope you could also include me in your decisions in life. After all, I am your only immediate family left.  I don’t intend to harm you, dad. I intend for you to experience the kind of everlasting love found only in God. You may misunderstand me, but that’s okay. You are still my dad and I am the daughter who cares for you.

Love,
Sheslley



[Handwritten letter given to my dad on March 15, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment