Friday, October 19, 2012

The Word, The Life, The Light


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him, nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness but the darkness has not understood it.

The true life that gives light to every man was coming into the world.

- John 1: 1-5, 9

‘The Word’ is stressed in this scripture, and since the beginning of time the Word has already existed.  When I read this passage before, it was just as though my eyes passed by these verses without me actually understanding it.  Not until last night that I took time to really understand the scripture word per word.  I slowly read it; I chew on it; I repeatedly read it.  Thanks to the Holy Spirit, He has given me the understanding of this verse, and I now appreciate the weight and the power of this verse.
Photo courtesy: hbiblecommentary.wordpress.com

The Word – is JESUS.  As I read it again, I tried to replace the ‘the Word’ with ‘Jesus.’

In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Jesus was in the beginning of time with God, and He was God.  The Word is Jesus.  Now, as I browsed back to Genesis, I found these verses:

- Genesis 1:1-4
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.  And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.  God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from darkness.

In John 1:3, it says that “through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.”  Through Jesus, the formless and empty earth covered with darkness was given light.  And that light was Jesus.  Jesus lighted the dark earth since the beginning of time.  There’s more.

In Genesis, the succeeding sentences begin with ‘And God said,’ which means when we refer to John, was the Word.

Who spoke? God.
What was spoken? The Word.
When was the Word spoken? In the beginning.
The Word was spoken out. Jesus was spoken out when God created the world.

Jesus is the Word, and through Him, the creation of the world began, in which He was the Light that lit the whole world.  It’s a revelation for me today in which I have understood it more now than before.  It has become clearer to me now than it was before: from the beginning of the world to the end of it, Jesus is the central focus.  From Genesis to Revelation, Jesus is the One talked about. The Old Testament is pointing to Jesus. The New Testament revealed the One whom the Old Testament talked about. It is all about Jesus -- the Word, the Life, and the Light from beginning to the end of age.  I have this knowledge before, but I haven’t fully understood it until now.

Father God, thank You for Your Holy Spirit, and for the revelation today.  Thank You for opening my eyes and mind that I may fully grasp this Truth about Jesus!  This verse has just become alive in me.  Thank you, Father God, for revealing to me Your wonderful Truth.  Indeed, when I call upon You, You will answer and tell me great and unsearchable things I do not know.  Hallelujah!  You never fail to always amaze me!  Jesus, You are the focus! You are my focus!  This I pray. Amen!


[Journal entry: March 9, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment