Sunday, May 20, 2012

His Deep Distress He Went Through

They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray."  He took Peter, James, and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled.  "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them.  "Stay here and keep watch."  Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him.  "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me.  Yet not what I will, but what you will."
- Mark 14: 32-36

I can't just imagine what Jesus felt the night before His "The Day."  Jesus felt greatly troubled; He felt deeply distressed.  He knew He would suffer into the hands of man, and he knew He would be crucified.  The thought that He would be crucified must and must suffer in the process would really bring stress and trouble into one's soul.  Imagine, the Son of God, the Lord, would go through shame, pain, suffering, and unjust treatment from mankind.  Jesus said, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death."  What Jesus went through was no joke.  If it were me, I would have really died from great sorrow and distress before my crucifixion.  I am so thankful to Father God and to Jesus that I didn't have to go through what Jesus went through.  Jesus took my place on my behalf!

I noticed in the following verse what Jesus did with His intense feeling of distress, He brought it up to His Abba, Father.  He prayed, He communed with His Father in heaven, He let His deepest sorrow out to His Father.  He was so distressed that He even prayed to take Him out of His upcoming suffering, but Jesus, despite what He would be going through, chose to obey His heavenly Father and clung on to His Father's will.

Jesus knows every pain, every suffering, every hardship we are facing.  He has a full understanding and complete consciousness of what we are going through, for Jesus Himself went through suffering before us.  The great thing is we have an open line to bring our distresses to our Heavenly Father.


[Journal entry: March 7, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment