Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My Dear Cross-eyed Child, You Keep Missing the Mark

Photo credit: http://www.wakeupbro.com


Have you ever tried playing darts? You know, those small missiles you throw at a circular target called dartboard.  The aim is to hit the red circle at the center of the board.  The nearer you  hit from the center, the higher your score.

I have tried playing darts with some friends when I was in grade school. It was a lot of fun. At first, I did not know how to aim, throw and hit the target.  Many times, I threw darts way over the dartboard.  I could not seem to hit the target.  And sometimes my exerted force was not enough to even reach the board.  I was really bad at it like I was some cross-eyed kid who could not see the target clearly.  When I got lucky, I hit the target bulls eye.  But when I ran out of luck, darts were nowhere near the read dot.  I just keep missing the mark.


Many times in my spiritual life, I am like a cross-eyed kid who keep missing the mark of the game of darts.  I fall short of the glory of God.  I fall short of God's standards. I fall short of being Jesus' disciple.  Well who haven't? I aim to low or aim to high then miss the mark.  I keep having zeroes in my score not one dart has gotten inside the target.  I keep missing the mark.

The cross-eyed child who keeps missing the mark.
Love your enemies.  Pray for those who persecute you.  Bless those who curse you.  Pray continually.  Forgive. Do not worry. Do not be afraid. Trust God. Do not judge others.  Do not engage in gossip. Be joyful. Be honest. Be kind. Be gentle in speech.

Oh yeah.
I keep missing the target.

The standard is Jesus. He is the one we are to aim at: to be more and more like Him.  But many times, I am w-aaaaaaaaay under the target.

If not for His grace and mercy, I would have been disqualified.  If not for His unconditional love, I would have been eliminated.  If not for the power of His blood, I would have been found dead.

Jesus is so gentle that every time I keep missing the mark and I am at the point of giving up, He picks up the dart, stands beside me, and says, "It's okay dear. Let me show you how to do it. Then you try again."

Perfecting the game requires time, focus, and practice.  The same with our everyday walk with the Lord. It requires spending our time with Him. It requires our full attention on Him. It requires listening to Him and putting into practice what we learned from Him.

Yes, I am still a work in progress. Jesus may not be done yet with me but He is faithful to complete what He has started in me.



[Journal entry: July 22, 2014]

No comments:

Post a Comment