Saturday, July 20, 2013

Drawing That Sword


7 Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?”

“Jesus of Nazareth,” they said.

8 Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” 9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”[a]

10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)

11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”
- John 18:7-11

When the soldiers and some officials went to arrest Jesus, He did not deny that He was who they were looking for.  He said it with full authority, "I am He."  Every word Jesus uttered fulfilled what was prophesied about Him (verses 8-9).


When they arrested Jesus, Simon Peter whom Jesus loved dearly, drew a sword and struck a servant's ear, cutting it.  Peter took matters into his hands.  He didn't think right, instead he reacted in an instant.  He didn't want them to arrest his Rabbi. So he had his own way of doing things -- through violence.

But Jesus didn't want a commotion between His disciples and the authorities, so He stopped Peter and told Him to put away his sword.  Jesus knew what exactly was happening, and He knew that His time has come.

Like Simon Peter, I have the tendency to put matters into my own hands.  When situations seem uncontrollable and when situations are not happening the way I planned or even the way I have in mind, I tend to react and do things on my own, forcing the issue.  It's not the wisest thing to do, for it only leads to sin and destruction.  I know, right?  But weak in faith and foolish as I am, with my sinful nature, I am capable of doing it.

Instead of taking matters into my own hands, I should have trusted Jesus.  Instead of reacting, I should have prayed to God who is the One in control of everything.  Instead of resisting, I should have trusted God in unfolding His plans in my life. Allowing things to fall into place according to God's will is wiser than resisting it.

The key? Trusting in God that He knows what He is doing. That He is in control. That He is sovereign. Often do I say that I trust God, and it's easy to say it when I am at the mountain top.  But when valleys arrive, my "trusting in the Lord" is tested.  My faith is being tested during times of "arrest."  Sometimes I wonder, "how strong is my faith in the Lord? How much do I trust God in times of difficulties?"

[PRAYER]
Father God, forgive me for at times I choose to fret rather than to be steadfast in You.  Forgive me for I have the tendency to react and to take matters into my own hands rather than pray to You and submit the things that causes me to be anxious.  Forgive me for resisting rather than allowing Your plans to unfold in my life. Heavenly Father, I need Your strength for I am weak in this area.  I need Your help in really, really believing and trusting in Your Word.  Help me to understand that Your Ways are not always the same as my own.  Help me to be steadfast in You alone, and that to believe that my life as well as my family are in Your good hands. This I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.


[Journal entry: March 15, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment